2019 Australian Women in Wine Awards open for entries
Know a woman in wine doing amazing work? The 2019 Australian Women in Wine Awards are now open for entries.
Awards are being offered this year in following categories:
• Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Tonnellerie Saint Martin
• Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
• Researcher / Innovator of the Year – sponsored by Angove Family Winemakers
• Champion of Diversity and Equality – sponsored by Australian Grape & Wine
• Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by WineWorks Australia
• Woman of Inspiration – sponsored by Irvine Wines
• Marketer of the Year – sponsored by denomination
• Cellar Door Person of the Year
The Australian Women in Wine Awards (AWIWA) and Wine Australia have partnered to host the 2019 awards in New York on September 17 – launching the USA Aussie Wine Month campaign.
The awards event will take place at Union West in Chelsea, New York, with key media, trade and influencers in attendance. It will coincide with a tasting to demonstrate the quality and diversity of Australian wines produced by women and celebrate their success.
The event will kick off the inaugural USA Aussie Wine Month, a campaign supported by the Australian Government’s $50 million Export and Regional Wine Support Package (the $50m Package), which will bring a contingent of Australian wineries across the globe for the largest Australian wine promotion ever held in the United States.
There will also be an additional special award, the Honorary Australian Woman in Wine Award - USA, which will go to a woman in the US who has been a long-time active advocate for Australian wine. This award is presented and sponsored by Wine Australia.
“The fact that the AWIWA has been chosen by Wine Australia to be one of the opening pieces of this exciting new campaign, clearly shows that telling the story about our women in wine and celebrating their achievements has global significance, as well as benefits for the entire industry as a whole,” said AWIWA founder and Chair, Jane Thomson.
Wine Australia Chief Executive Officer, Andreas Clark said, “This is a wonderful opportunity to showcase the inspiring work of female wine producers in Australia and continue to encourage diversity and innovation in the Australian wine sector”.
Key Dates for AWIWA 2019:
• Entries (and nominations) Open – Thursday, June 6
• Entries Close – Thursday, August 1
• Finalists Announced – Thursday, August 15
• Awards Announced – evening of Tuesday, September 17 in New York (Wednesday, September 18 in Australia)
More information on the Australian Women in Wine Awards, now in their fifth year, can be found at www.WomeninWineAwards.com.au.
The 2019 AWIWA board members are Jeni Port, Toni Carlino, Corrina Wright, Sami Gilligan, Sarah Collingwood, Rebekah Richardson and Jane Thomson (Chair).
The 2019 AWIWA Platinum Partner is Coles Liquor. Gold Partners are Pernod Ricard Winemakers, Wine Business Magazine and the Victoria State Government.